Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Little Bailey

As some of you know, I have a malti-poo/maltese/bischon? Don't really know the breed, but who cares. I basically "rescued" my dog Bailey from a mean old lady that was not nice to her when I was 14 years old (12 years ago). She has basically been my 1st child throughout the years. I had her through all of high school, college, single life after college (a year), married life, and now she is still with me when I had my own child. I love Bailey!
Now all of you dog lovers understand how attached you can get to your dogs :)
However, I am a realist and understand that 12 years old in doggie years is getting on up there in age. Well this morning Bailey was trying to get down off of our bed and I usually help her down but I just let her do it herself for some reason today. Right after she landed she yelped very loudly and could not put pressure on her back leg. I knew something happened immediately. So me, Kaylor, and Bailey jump in the car and head towards the vet. After 2 x-rays and an exam we realized.....Bailey tore her ACL and Lateral Ligaments! I didn't even know dogs could do that! I thought that only happened during "human" athletics :) She pretty much blew out her knee. The vet thinks that there is a 90% chance that it will heal on its own, which is good news. But she can't really go up stairs, jump on anything, or go on our afternoon walks for 6-8 weeks :( !! But she is acting normal, just a little slow with her knee. Vet bills are also an unexpected expense when you have to go, so I was a little stressed about that today. I prayed about it and just thought "well at least we didn't have to do an expensive surgery, or they didn't tell me she was not going to make it". So this afternoon we were on our way to our weekly trip to Wal-Mart when we were passing our bank and Kerry told me to pull in because he had a message on his phone from a lady from our bank. He runs inside to see what she needed while I waited in the car. He comes back out and tells me that last time he was inside the bank he put his name in a drawing while he was waiting in line and he won!! We got a $100.00 Visa card!! What a blessing, especially on a day when I was stressed about spending money on a vet bill.

Here are some pictures from the past couple of days:
I went in to check on her during her nap time and this is how I found her sleeping, feet on the head board, bunny in one hand and a blankie in the other. I'm trying to give her anything to grab on to instead on her hair, HA! :


Playing with her friends Aubrey and Blair Breakfield:


Getting ready to go outside and to the park. You can see that Lexie is dying to get out:


Kaylor petting Bailey after she tore her ACL. You can see her baby doll in her right hand. She loves that thing and goes and gets it when I ask her too :) I love this picture:

Kaylor eating her pasta and cheese, a little messy. She is getting so big.

2 comments:

Heather said...

ah, poor Bailey. Glad she is ok. God is so good, awesome on the $100! YAY!! Mollie has that same doll and she loves it! We always tell her to get her baby and she gets so excited. I still can't believe Kaylor is walking! Such a cutie!!

~The Taylor Family~ said...

She is too cute! That sleeping position is funny:) She is getting so big! Poor Bailey:(