Friday, October 2, 2009

We will miss Bailey

Last Friday night we lost out malti-poo Bailey. She wouldn't eat last Thursday night so on Friday we took her to the vet. They told us she had a tumor in her chest and basically passed away at home that night. I was with her the entire night (and middle of the night) until she passed away and it was VERY hard! I got Bailey when I was 15 years old. She went through many stages of my life with me including high school, college, out on my own for a year, married life, and having a child. She slept with me every night, followed me around the house, and sat by me on the couch through all of those years. It definitely feels different without her being around. I have been so sad it has taken me an entire week to write this post. To not make this post just terribly sad let me say a couple of stories about Bailey:
My mom and I got Bailey in Castner Knotts (now Macy's) parking lot in 1997 from an old mean lady that didn't want her. I was so excited to take her home and call my own dog. However, my mom did not tell my dad about us doing this. When we got home my Dad was very upset to find out that we got a dog behind his back and also to bring her home to live inside with us. He tried talking us into giving her back or selling her, and we would not even consider it. So instead my dad.........SOLD HER TO A LADY BEHIND OUR BACKS. I came home a few days after I had gotten her to find out that she was sold to a lady across town. My mom and I were so upset that we cried all day and didn't speak to him. He realized that he did a very mean thing and called the lady back the next day to beg for her back. She gladly said we could have her back because she said Bailey cried all night long and was not happy at her house (she knew I would love her the most) :) So my dad ended up paying the lady more than he sold her for, which meant he lost money on the whole situation. It's kind of a funny story now that we ended up with her and he lost money doing it.

About a year later, Bailey was in my parent's back yard just walking around like she always did. All of a sudden we heard an awful yelp from her and she came running in to the garage covered in blood. After taking her the emergency vet we found out that a coyote had her in his mouth and somehow she got loose from him (which the vet could not believe). She had huge teeth marks on both sides of her body and had staples put in her sides. I can't believe she escaped a coyote attack!!

Bailey was such a joy to have the past 12 years!! I really wish Kaylor would have gotten to be around her more. Kaylor did love her and would call her "Bay" all the time. Any white dog we see is "Bay". When Bailey passed away last week I was crying to Kerry and telling him I never want to get another dog again. But then I realize how much fun they bring to your family and how many memories you make with them. I do miss her sooooooo much and I am so lucky I got to spend the last 12 years with her.

I have so many more pictures of us over the years and I wish I could post them all. My favorite is the one where I took her to get OUR picture taken at my groomers. Yes, I am one of "those dog owners" that took my pet to get a professional picture taken. To make it even better, it was an hawaiian themed picture and I had a lei around my neck and Bailey had on a hawaiian visor and a lei on as well :) Great memories!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh about the Hawaiian-themed picture! I'm so sorry about Bailey. I know it's hard because they become part of the family.

Dana

Anonymous said...

Bailey was a sweetheart! She loved you so much and I know ( she also knew)you loved her too. Let it give you comfort that you were with her till the end- she wouldnt have wanted it any other way!! We will always have such great memories of our Bay-Bay!! Love You!! Mama

Heather said...

oh Courtney I am so sorry! I bet that is hard. Love the stories, and I am about to pull a Shirley and you and go buy a dog for Mollie! Matt won't allow it until we get Bogey here from TN, yes, it's more difficult than you would think to get a dog from TN to TX, but Mollie loves dogs, especially little white ones!!!
thanks for sharing with us about bailey!